Re: Printing the date just before execution of commands in bash

Aaron Hall wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, Jos� Alburquerque wrote:

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

tcsh has the feature of printing time automatically after each
command executed (time variable). it also has 'precmd' and 'postcmd'
aliases that are executed (if set) before and after any command
executed.
[massive snippage]

Anyway, it looks like tcsh has a lot more than bash in this area.  I
may just give tcsh another try.  On the other hand, it's not that
inconvenient to not be able to get this automatically in bash.  I
would just have to remember to use the 'time' command when I really
want to time something. :-)

zsh's preexec() function might help you out here. It runs after the
command has been read by the shell but just before it executes the
command. In fact, I just tried it at my shell and I can make it print
the date before each following command:

    revolver: /usr % preexec () { date }

Then:

    revolver: /usr % ls
    Sun Oct 15 22:18:28 CDT 2006
    X11R6           lib             sbin
    bin             libexec         share
    include         local           standalone
    revolver: /usr %

If you grew up on tcsh, you might like zsh a lot -- virtually all of the
features of tcsh, with Bourne-shell syntax. I learned tcsh first, and
then switched to zsh and never looked back.

- Aaron

Didn't know zsh is "Bourne-compatible" (very interesting). Thanks for pointing this out.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque