Re: Which file am I supposed to download?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 05:09:46PM +0200, cristian zapelli wrote:
> Dear staff of Debian,
> I'm trying to upload the  debian o.s.;
> I've read the faq but I' ve some problems anyway;
>
> First of all I think I should download the i386 architecture....when I
> get to this page http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r3/i386/bt-cd/,
> what shall I do?
> Have I to download all the files? Or Can I have to choose only one among
> many? I think they are the different releases of the the same file but
> I'm not sure at all of this...

I dindn't know Debian had a staff...

I think it would be worth your time to read the installation manual;
follow the links from www.debian.org/distrib.  Since unless you buy the
CDs you will be downloading anyway, I suggest you just download the
netinst or business-card CD.  See www.debian.org/CD/netinst.

You can either burn the CD or make a USB basic installer and put either
CD image on it as an iso file.

Either way this lets you do a basic install and download only what you
need as you need it.

The only advantage that I have found to having the entire CD1 is that
the installer manual and other docs are then on the one CD.

Your choice, but that's what Debian is all about.

Please read the manual because it will make your life easier; at least
as far as Debian is concerned.

Enjoy.

Doug.