Re: How to PIN a package?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:16:52 +0200, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...snip....]

> > Maybe the APT::Default-Release "testing"; option interferes with the
> > package pinning or the wildcards in the preferences file do not work as
> > expected. What is the output of
> >
> > apt-cache policy openoffice.org
> >
> Output is:
>
> msb01:/# apt-cache policy openoffice.org
> openoffice.org:
>   Installato: 2.0.3-6
>   Candidato: 2.0.3-6
>   Pin del pacchetto: 2.0.3-6
>   Tabella versione:
>      2.0.4~rc3-1 1001
>         990 http://mi.mirror.garr.it etch/main Packages
>  *** 2.0.3-6 1001
>          50 http://snapshot.debian.net unstable/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> msb01:/#
>
> > apt-cache policy openoffice.org-common
> >
> Output is:
>
> openoffice.org-common:
>   Installato: 2.0.3-6
>   Candidato: 2.0.4~rc3-1
>   Tabella versione:
>      2.0.4~rc3-1 0
>         990 http://mi.mirror.garr.it etch/main Packages
>  *** 2.0.3-6 0
>          50 http://snapshot.debian.net unstable/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> msb01:/#
>

> I don't understand why the preference with 10001 value is not considered.

Looking at "man apt_preferences" I get the impression that "*" is not a
general wildcard to be appended to substrings, but that it can only be
used on its own, as a stand-in for "any package name" if you want to pin
for a specific release or package origin. It looks like you will have to
manually add entries for more OOo packages; I think OOo-common and
OOo-bin will probably be enough to keep the rest at 2.0.3.

--
Regards,
          Florian