Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 09:43:44AM +0300, ccostin wrote:
> Seamonkey fulfill conditions requested by DFSG ?
My guess is that it fails the same way that firefox and thunderbird do:
it must have code authorized by mozilla along with the moziila official
logo and program name.
Debian requires the logo to be modifible and redistributable.
Mozilla logos dont comply.
Debian doesn't want to have it or downstream to have to get permission
to make modifications or security support.
Mozilla will not allow this if Debian uses the mozilla branding.
Debian wants its programs to have only free plugins,
Mozilla programs have non-free plugins.
Mozilla said you either comply and keep the trademarked branding or
change the name and icon.
My guess is that Seamonkey will be next...

FYI: 'icedove' aka thunderbird was just uploaded!
let the coldwar begin...

cheers,
Kev