Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 06:11:10PM -0700, Michael M. wrote:
<snip>
> In one sense, there's no difference.  Debian gets to decide what
> qualifies for using the "Debian Official Logo," just as Mozilla gets to
> decide what qualifies for using the official Firefox logo and name.
>
> In another sense, there is a difference, because Mozilla demands that
> all patches and modifications made to the Firefox code be submitted to
> Mozilla, as a condition of being able to use the Firefox branding.
> Debian makes no such demands.
>
> Really, though, each logo is indicating two different things:  the
> Firefox logo indicates that the browser code (and therefore, the browser
> itself) is Mozilla-approved if not Mozilla-generated (i.e., it might
> include patches that are not available from Mozilla itself); the Debian
> Official Logo indicates that the project using the logo uses some
> documented part of Debian.  In other words, the Firefox logo indicates
> that the browser *is* Firefox; the Debian Official Logo indicates that
> the project using the logo *uses* Debian.

Hi Michael,
just want to clarify a bit. IIUC, Debian has a DFSG logo for the DFSG
version of Firefox, which will be called IceWeasle, thus IceWeasle will
not use the Debian logo, which is not DFSG free, per se. Using the
IceWeasle logo states that this version is not a Mozilla approved
version but a version derived from Debian sources and contains DFSG
software (source code, logo, documentation, etc).
cheers,
Kev