Re: 1 CPU or 2 ?

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:22:23 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 07:15:53PM -0700, michael wrote:
> >
> > Probably about 100-150 workstations.
> > This server will also run proxy, email and web, but my main concern was
> > NFS as I'm kinda new to it.
> > Basically, from the money we have available, it looks like I can
> > afford an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.67GHz, with a $150 Motherboard, or
> > 2 x  Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2.0Ghz with a $450 Motherboard.
> >
> > I guess put another way, for a Sarge server that does pretty much
everything,
> > would you rather have 4 cores at slower speed, or 2 cores at faster
speed?

> > Another problem currently, is I can't even install Debian on a test box
that
> > I have. Intel motherboard with ich8 chipset. (would use E6700 CPU)
> > So, I'm wondering if a motherboard with xeon chips which would use the
> > 5000V chipset let me install the system.
> >
> Is this a new deployment or is NFS already deployed?  If a new
> deployment, why are you wasting your time with NFS?

Network is already deployed.
Workstations are OS 10.4
Can't provide single sign on to the mac without running OS X server.
Or if you can really hack ldap on a linux box and provide it over afp.
Be happy to here about other options than NFS.