Re: 1 CPU or 2 ?

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:04:53 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote

> On 10/14/06 19:53, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 05:33:29PM -0700, michael wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> Looking for suggestions on going with 1 dual core CPU
> >> or 2 dual core CPU. Main server would be an NFS file server.
> >> Probably using SW raid as well.
> >> Money is a conern.
> >> Is it better to go with a single, yet faster CPU?,
> >> or go with a slower CPU, yet have 2 of them?
> >>
> > Go with whatever you can get cheeper.  If it is primarily an NFS server,
> > any CPU over 1 GHz will do.  Even a single cpu with a single core.  The
> > only concern is if you are using a 10 Gbps network card.  If money is a
> > concern, you are not going to be using a 10 Gbps network card.
>
> Other questions to ask:
> - - How many users will it be serving?
> - - How "busy" will it be?  Even if you are only serving one system,
>   will it be a streaming uncompressed High Def video server, or an
>   MPEG-2 and MP3 server for 1 person.?

Probably about 100-150 workstations.
This server will also run proxy, email and web, but my main concern was
NFS as I'm kinda new to it.
Basically, from the money we have available, it looks like I can
afford an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.67GHz, with a $150 Motherboard, or
2 x  Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2.0Ghz with a $450 Motherboard.

I guess put another way, for a Sarge server that does pretty much everything,
would you rather have 4 cores at slower speed, or 2 cores at faster speed?

Another problem currently, is I can't even install Debian on a test box that
I have. Intel motherboard with ich8 chipset. (would use E6700 CPU)
So, I'm wondering if a motherboard with xeon chips which would use the
5000V chipset let me install the system.

Thanks,
Mike