Re: 1 CPU or 2 ?

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 09:05:56PM -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
> If the server is more or less just doing NFS, then even with a 10Gbps
> network card, would a dual-core CPU really help...?

Probably.  Filling a 10 Gbps pipe takes a lot of work.  Even with DMA,
it is still quite CPU intensive becuase of the amount of data.

> This is really just guess work...  but the software you're running for NFS
> would need to be smart enough to take advantage of a dual core for it to
> even matter, wouldn't it?  And I'm guessing most NFS stuff these days
> probably doesn't do that.

No, but it does spawn multiple processes/threads, IIRC.  That is enough
for the OS to figure out how to have it use the multi-core setup.  That
is why it is often said that if you write your applications threaded,
they can "automatically" make use of SMP.  Now, if you are not smart
about it and have all the processes/threads block on I/O, then multiple
cores or CPUs will not help.

> Like I said, I'm really just taking a shot in the dark here...  someone
> please let me know if that's remotely accurate.

I'm not sure on hard numbers, but I am relatively certain that multiple
cores or CPUs would help when talking about that high of a bandwidth.

Also, please don't top post.

Regards,

-Roberto
--