Re: default nautilus character encoding

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 23:13 +0200, Tobias Niemann wrote:
> I'd like to change the default character encoding from nautilus for
> creating files or directories. If I create a directory with (for
> example) a German Umlaut (e.g. testdatö) in nautilus, outside nautilus
> (here in aterm) it looks like this:
[...]
> If I create such a directory (with ö) in my shell, nautilus displays
> everything fine, too. It's just while creating, nautilus uses a
> different character encoding (I guess it's UTF-8?), while reading
> nautilus seems to use iso8859-15, too (besides the UTF-8).
>
> I already tried to set G_FILENAME_ENCODING environment variable to
> @locale or de_DE@euro in my /etc/profile but although the variable
> definitely is being set ("env" displays the variable being set) nautilus
> seems to ignore it.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to change this behaviour?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that GNOME reads that file until
after Nautilus is started if you're running GDM. Instead, try creating a
custom .xsession and select it before logging in.

Also, try setting G_BROKEN_FILENAMES to true.

In the long run, I think it's simply easier to embrace UTF-8 and take
the time to convert your filenames.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson