Re: mDNS and /etc/nsswitch.conf

Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> I was out of town for a couple of weeks so the first thing I did this
> morning was update my system(I'm running Sid).  When I did I lost all
> ability to access my dns server.  I started up a sniffer and found my
> system was attempting to access port 5353 at 224.0.0.251, a multicast
> address, to resolve url's.
>
> This turned out to be related to the libnss-mdns package and
> modifications made to /etc/nsswitch.conf when it is installed.   This
> was done without asking me if I wanted to use multicast DNS as the
> default protocol for resolving url's during the update.
>
> To be able to use normal dns I had to modify /etc/nsswitch.conf.  I
> removed "mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return]" from the "hosts" line and was
> able to access my dns server again.

It would be helpful if you could provide as much information as possible
to 392813@bugs.debian.org about this, including straces of programs
failing, the versions of all the involved packages, and details about
your dns setup.

> My question is: Does anyone know why the developers would be assume mdns
> would be everyone's default protocol for DNS and make such a change
> without notification during the upgrade process while not giving the
> option of allowing you to keep your existing /etc/nsswitch.conf file?

Because you had libnss-mdns installed so apparently want to use it, and
the change is not intended to make mdns be used for anything except for
.local address resolution.

Debian's policy for packages making modifications to configuration files
is that they only need to involve the admin in it if the admin has made
local changes that need to be manually dealt with. The method used by
libnss-mdns to update /etc/nsswitch.conf does meet the policy.

--
see shy jo