More Pavilion problems

The install got to the point of "remove the CD and reboot".

And it won't boot.  During bootup it reaches the line:

	Checking TSC synchronization across 2 CPUs

and then it never returns.  I have to power down.  Same in safe mode.  This
is 2.17.1. (I believe--I didn't think to look. In any case it's the default
kernel the installer installs.)

Neither Google nor AltaVista seems to have reports of a freeze at that
point.

The CPU is a Turion 1.8 GHz.

Any suggestions?  Maybe try a non-SMP kernel first?

I'm breaking a thread here because for some reason debian-user is delaying
all my postings by a variable time of up to 24 hours.  I posted a response
to the previous thread two hours ago as I write this, but my own message
hasn't appeared here for me to reply to and maintain the thread. (I deleted
the message I replied to after sending my own message.)
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!