Re: non-free

 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>:

> > On Thursday, 12. October 2006 13:13, Roger Johansen wrote:
> > > Could someone please tell me the difference between:
> > >
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
> non-free
> > > and
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
> > >
> > > I have the last one in my sources.list, should i change it to
> include
> > > non-free too?
>
> On 12.10.06 13:27, Juha Tuuna wrote:
> > No. you can remove the "non-non-free" line because both main and
> contrib are
> > included in the upper line.
>
> I think you misunderstood the question. He asked, which one should he
> have
> included in sources.list.
True

> The right answer was, of course, that it depends if he has non-free in
> other
> lines in sources.list

This is the content of my sources.list file:

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
deb http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ stable main

The reason that i mentioned the non-free part was because i am reading the
"securing debian manual":

[Quote]
To manually update the system, put the following line in your sources.list and
you will get security updates automatically, whenever you update your system.

       deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
[/Quote]

i compared this with my own sources.list file and found out that i had a similar
line in my sources.list file but WITHOUT the non-free part.

I then wondered what the non-free part was about, and i still do i guess :)

If i dont need the non-free part then i suggest the manual is changed, i could
just change my sources.list file to match the one in the manual, but i like to
know what im doing instead of just doing it :)

Thanks for all the responses!