PostgreSQL Missing Function Error

Hi All. I was wondering whether someone could help me explain a weird PostgreSQL error I've encountered.

I have two machines running Sarge stable, the first has been operating as a database server for some time and the other I have just set up identically to run as a backup database. Both machines used the default database setup option during installation.

Some of my scripts rely on the earth distance functions contained in the 'postgresql-contrib' package, but for some reason the backup PostgreSQL database does not recognise these functions. Eg. my latitude/longitude to distance converter, which runs fine on the main machine, generates this error message:

"ERROR:  function ll_to_earth(numeric, numeric) does not exist
HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to add explicit type casts."

I've tried reinstalling the package in question but it had no effect. Does anyone have a theory why it would run on one and not the other?

      -Duncan