Re: Linux and Newest Hardware

Seth Goodman wrote:
Yes, if you have an extra $100 and you don't mind buying previous
generation hardware.  If you want current generation hardware, you're
going to spend more than that.
[...]
The bottom line is that unless you have too much spare time,
or are willing to use obsolete used machines (my personal choice),
you're going to pay more for a lot less hardware.

Seth,

I think you mix up two different things:
- if you want to by recent hardware, as a good rule, it is not cheap.
- if you settle for not so recent hardware, it will be cheaper and it will be supported by linux.

Personally on a low budget, I don't see the reasoning in buying the latest hardware, that is a factor of say 2 more powerful at a factor of 4 higher prices.

On the other hand: if you are looking for good and recent hardware it will be expensive, but if you select a linux friendly manufacturer it will be also supported by linux.

If you are looking for powerful and recent AND cheap hardware, it will probably not be supported. On the other hand, in my experience, this kind of hardware tends to be unreliable and I wouldn't recommend using it in a production environment, neither with linux nor with another OS.

Just my opinion, YMMV,
regards, Johannes