RE: Linux and Newest Hardware

Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote on Thursday, October 12,
2006 9:22 AM -0500:

> Really?  I spent about $400 on a small form-factor PC from iDotPC (not
> including monitor).  They "support" Linux (their default OS unless you
> choose something else is Linspire).  There are also tons of smaller
> vendors out there who support Linux in way or another.  That means you
> probably won't be able to get the rock-bottom WalMart PC for $200 and
> still be certain that everything on it works in Linux.  But, for a
> midrange PC, I'd venture to guess that something from a smaller vendor
> would be within $100 of a comparable Dell offering.

I took a look at their site and the hardware is nicely packaged, but
hardly comparable to commodity PC's.  I'm sure they are a good vendor
(they support Linux), but these are basically 800MHz PIII's.  Can you
even new buy commodity hardware like that?  While we can extol the
virtues of minimalist systems, and I personally like that approach, it's
not a good general answer.  Lack of support for current generation
commodity hardware is an issue, and we might as well be honest about it.

> I guess that question you need ask your self is "Will it take more
than
> $100 of my time to make the Dell PC work with Linux?"

That depends on how much you pay yourself :)

> Or even "Is it worth $100 to know it will Just Work(TM)?"

Yes, if you have an extra $100 and you don't mind buying previous
generation hardware.  If you want current generation hardware, you're
going to spend more than that.

> Not just that, but if you
> buy from a smaller vendor who supports Linux, you take a copy of the
> invoice and then snail mail it to Dell with a letter saying "I tried
> buy a consumer level PC from you guys with Linux, but I you would not
> sell me one, so now my money goes to vendor X."

LOL.  This is clearly worth something, but it is using your money to
make a statement.  Not everyone has extra disposable income for that
purpose.  The bottom line is that unless you have too much spare time,
or are willing to use obsolete used machines (my personal choice),
you're going to pay more for a lot less hardware.

--
Seth Goodman