Re: debian projects for young users

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 01:03:21PM +0200, roberto wrote:
> On 10/5/06, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> >On Thursday 05 October 2006 11:57, roberto wrote:
> >> Hello
> >> i am building up a project of education for young linux users aged
> >> 11-15 and i am currently looking for something similar since this is
> >> my first experience
> >>
> >> hopefully we'll use some young oriented distro, esp if debian based
> >>
> >> if you are aware of anything useful, please let me know
> >>
> >> good bye
> >>
> >Is there not a "skolinux" or something like that on Debian?
> >

> >--
> >

> yes, i think so
> but more exactely i need some hints to make a presentation of linux
> for students 11-15

what do you mean by this? Are you making a presentation to students to
provide general information about linux? are you teaching a class on
computing and using linux as the platform? are you teaching
programming using linux as the platform? Are these kids currently
computer users or are they total computer newbies?

If you are teaching programming to any level of computer user, I
personally would start at the command line and build your way up to a
full desktop system as their programming skills develop. "Hello World"
does not need a gui and students could get bogged down trying to
understand it. When their skills develop such that they are ready to
build small gui apps, then teach them how to install a gui and the
libraries required to build the program.

If your teaching general computer usage then I'd plop them down in
front of a fully installed gui and let them click away.

thats my .02 anyway.