Re: Permissions Problems on Mounted Samba Shares

On (11/10/06 02:19), Scarletdown wrote:
> I just recently bought a 250GB network hard drive, and have it connected
> to my home network's switch, with four shared directories created on it.
>
> However, when I mount the shares (I'm wanting to do this so they auto
> mount at boot time), they are owned by root and nogroup, and are only
> writable by root, with rwxr-xr-x as their permissions, and not even root
> can change those permissions.  how do I set them up so they mount as
> rwxrwxr-x?
>
> Here is what their fstab entries look like:
>
> //CALYPSO/Documents /Calypso/Documents smbfs
> auto,rw,users,umask=0077,gid=nogroup,password= 0 0
> //CALYPSO/Multimedia /Calypso/Multimedia smbfs
> auto,rw,users,umask=0077,gid=nogroup,password= 0 0
> //CALYPSO/share /Calypso/share smbfs
> auto,rw,users,umask=0077,gid=nogroup,password= 0 0
> //CALYPSO/Systems /Calypso/Systems smbfs
> auto,rw,users,umask=0077,gid=nogroup,password= 0 0
>

> The mount points themselves show the proper permissions when the shares
> are unmounted, but once they are mounted, the permissions change.  How
> can I fix this so that I, as a regular user, can write to them?

I set up samba shares thus:

//zeus/cma /smb/cma cifs credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,uid=clive,gid=staff,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0       0
//zeus/clive /smb/clive cifs credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0       0
//zeus/misc /smb/misc  cifs credentials=/home/clive/.smb_pass,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770  0       0

They are permanently mounted, I've not tried auto.  I used the use smbfs
but I understand it is depricated in favour of cifs.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...