Re: Debian & Old Toshiba Laptop

Kai wrote:
I have a very old Toshiba laptop and I am looking to put Debian or
some other form of linux on it.
Details:
CPU: Pentium I
> HD: ~700MB
RAM: 16MB
Won't work, you need 24Mb of RAM (last time I checked) for the installer.

Also, you can forget about X. You may have 1MB of video ram only, wich will limit your resolution to just about the LCD's resolution with 256 colors.

2 PC Card slots, but some newer cards (such as wireless cards) do not fit
They are 16-bit PCMCIA. Wireless cards are 32-bit Cardbus.

Linksys EtherFast PC Card
Generic 16-bit PCMCIA Ethernets are detected as "NE2000 PCMCIA" or somehthing like that. Most likely to work.

A wireless router, however I can not seem to set up a Windows network on it
Why not?

A Sony Vaio CD-RW drive PC Card
Guess it'll be supported by the debian installer. Otherwise try network install.

an external bootable floppy drive on a special floppy port
Great, for the boot disks.

Cheers,
Hernan