Re: ttf-opensymbol installation fails

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:00:15 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> One of your problems seems to be that you have debconf configured to use
> the KDE frontend, which means that it will not be able to ask you any
> configuration questions if KDE is not running. If you cannot get KDE to
> work then you should run
>
> dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=Dialog debconf

Thank you. After running this command, I could successfully install
'ttf-opensymbol'.

> I think these messages indicate that there is something wrong with the
> setup of your X (the basic graphical environment infrastructure which is
> needed by all GUI applications). Updating from Sarge to Etch means going
> from XFree86 to Xorg. Are you sure that you made this transition
> successfully? If not, then we have to fix this first before we start to
> worry about the ttf-opensymbol package. What happens when you try to run
> "startx"? Which version of X is currently installed on your system? (Run
> "X -version" and post the output.)

You are right, after rebooting my system, the X server is not running
anymore.
Typing 'startx' as a normal user, I get the error message:

xauth:  creating new authority file /home/christian/.serverauth.3054
xinit:  Server error.

And 'X --version' indicates:

true (GNU coreutils) 5.97
This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Jim Meyering.

It seems that upgrading from XFree86 to Xorg failed. How can I fix that
problem?

> --
> Regards,
>           Florian