Re: ttf-opensymbol installation fails

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 13:40:19 +0200, Christian Christmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after installing a fresh Sarge system, I wanted to upgrade
> to Etch. However, the installation of package ttf-opensymbol
> fails with the error message:
>
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: KDE
> debconf: (Can't locate Debconf/FrontEnd/KDE.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 20) line 2, <> line 1.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

One of your problems seems to be that you have debconf configured to use
the KDE frontend, which means that it will not be able to ask you any
configuration questions if KDE is not running. If you cannot get KDE to
work then you should run

dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=Dialog debconf

and change the setting so that debconf will use "Dialog" for now.
("Dialog" is ncurses based and works without X.) Maybe your problem is
caused by a wrong configuration setting which is chosen in
non-interactive mode.

> Selecting previously deselected package ttf-opensymbol.
> (Reading database ... 44819 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace ttf-opensymbol 2.0.3-6 (using .../ttf-opensymbol_2.0.3-6_all.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement ttf-opensymbol ...
> Setting up ttf-opensymbol (2.0.3-6) ...
> Updating fontconfig cache...
> /usr/share/fonts: failed to write cache
> /usr/share/fonts/X11: failed to write cache

[ snip: the same problem for the other font directories ]

I think these messages indicate that there is something wrong with the
setup of your X (the basic graphical environment infrastructure which is
needed by all GUI applications). Updating from Sarge to Etch means going
from XFree86 to Xorg. Are you sure that you made this transition
successfully? If not, then we have to fix this first before we start to
worry about the ttf-opensymbol package. What happens when you try to run
"startx"? Which version of X is currently installed on your system? (Run
"X -version" and post the output.)

--
Regards,
          Florian