strange perm/ownership issue for kde/konqueror cache files

I've not seen this behavior before.

Just a while ago, I was surfing as usual with konqueror, on an etch
system, and closed konqueror. After a while, I noticed that the memory
usage was skyrocketing, and so I ran 'top'. There was a process that
runs (periodically, I suppose) called kio_http_cache_cleaner, and it
was (according to top) consuming nearly 500 megs of virtual memory. I
watched it for a short time, thinking how odd this was, so I decided to
kill the process from within top.

That part worked, but it seems to have left soem of my cache files in
an inconsistent state. The permissions and other information on the
files in some cases are extremely odd:

dfox@m206-157:~/.kde/cache-localhost/http$ ls -l
total 51
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox   160 2006-10-06 16:00 0
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox 21280 2006-10-06 16:06 a
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox   128 2006-10-06 14:01 b
?--------- ? ?    ?        ?                ? c
-rw------- 1 dfox dfox     0 2006-10-06 15:54 cleaned
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox   240 2006-10-06 15:56 d
?--------- ? ?    ?        ?                ? e

I go inside 'a', for instance:
fox@m206-157:~/.kde/cache-localhost/http/a$ ls -l | head -10
total 300
-rw-r--r-- 1 dfox dfox   1532 2006-10-05 18:53

-------- ? ?    ?         ?                ?
warrenreports.tpmcafe.com_themes_tpmcafe_layout.css_38fa498a ?--------- ? ?    ?         ?                ?
warrenreports.tpmcafe.com_themes_tpmcafe_layout.css_38fa498a ?--------- ? ?    ?         ?                ?
warrenreports.tpmcafe.com_themes_tpmcafe_layout.css_38fa498a ?--------- ? ?    ?         ?                ?
warrenreports.tpmcafe.com_themes_tpmcafe_layout.css_38fa498a ?--------- ? ?    ?         ?                ?
warrenreports.tpmcafe.com_themes_tpmcafe_layout.css_38fa498a ?--------- ? ?    ?         ?                ?
warrenreports.tpmcafe.com_themes_tpmcafe_layout.css_38fa498a -rw-r--r--
1 dfox dfox  16982 2006-10-06 10:42
www.aplusdev.org_APlusRefV2_3.html_6b32489c -rw-r--r-- 1 dfox dfox
3127 2006-10-06 10:36 www.aplusdev.org_ARindexindex.html_26caa7f6
-rw-r--r-- 1 dfox dfox    188 2006-10-06 10:36
www.aplusdev.org_Images_blank.gif_4c149b36 -rw-r--r-- 1 dfox dfox
170246 2006-10-06 10:44 www.aplusdev.org_keyboard.html_19c3a676

I somehow can't get that to wrap right, but all the affected files have
a single ?-------for their permission field, and ? for all the other
fields that ls normally outputs.

If I try to remove a file (even as root) I get an error "cannot lstat
<blah> : No such file or directory. If I goto the same site I visited
yesterday(f.e., warrenreports), as expected, I get new content in the
same directory I was in (.kde/cache-localhost/http/a, although I would
have expected the content to go under 'w'). Other websites seem to be
in the right place, alphabetically, at around the same time I had
killed the errant cache cleaner process.

Now what? I guess I could just try and empty the cache, but am not sure
this would work, because some of the files are not removable.

(later) That helped some, and it seems that some of the errant files
are no longer there, but still some directories are inaccessible:

otal 18
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox    48 2006-10-06 16:34 0
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox 18824 2006-10-06 16:34 a
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox    48 2006-10-06 16:34 b
-rw------- 1 dfox dfox     0 2006-10-06 16:28 cleaned
drwx------ 2 dfox dfox    48 2006-10-06 16:34 d

OK, but now how to remove 'c' and 'e', or remake them?

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.