Re: switching xorg.conf configurations?

On 10/6/06, Avinash Sultanpur <avinash@sultanpur.org> wrote:
Hi Matt,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:34:06AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> I occasionally need to use the native acceleration of the nonfree nvidia
> x driver, but my laptop will neither suspend nor hibernate when they're
> loaded.  I'd like to set up a situation where I can log in to my main x
> session most of the time, but optionally log in to an x server running
> with a different xorg.conf.  Is it possible to do something like this at
> the gdm prompt?  If not, what might be the best way to do this?

May not be the solution you are looking for but you can get your
laptop to hibernate with the non-free nvidia drivers (if you are using
the suspend2 patch) by running this command before starting X.

echo 0 > /proc/suspend2> echo 0 > /proc/suspend2/extra_pages_allowance/extra_pages_allowance

ah.  I hadn't realized this needed to go in my startup scripts -- I'd
read about it on a suspend2 mailing list and included it in my
hibernate script, but I don't actually know how to include this
permanently in the startup scripts.  Is there a recommended Debian Way
to do this?

thanks,

matt

More at