xine and subtitles

I have several avi files with corresponding .sub files but I can't get
xine to display the subtitles. When the .sub files are plain text then
the subtitles work fine but these particular .sub files are in some
binary format. Is there some way I can get the subtitles to display?

--
"Aided by a little sophistry on the words 'general welfare', [they
 claim] a right to do not only the acts to effect that which are