Re: APT question

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:11:29AM +1300, Matt Parlane wrote:
> Hi all...
> I couldn't think of an appropriate subject, so that will have to do...  :)
> I have a couple of servers each with a bunch of packages installed,
> and I would like some way of getting that exact bunch of packages
> installed on a fresh Debian install.  Is there any way to get some
> list of installed packages from the old machine and feed it into
> apt-get on the new machine?

If you have done lots of customization, then consider systemimager.

If you just need the same packages installed and are not concerned so
much about configuration, then `dpkg --get-selections >pkgs.out` will
create a text file with the package selections and then `dpkg
--set-selections <pkgs.out` will set dpkg to try and install those same
packages the next time you do something, e.g., in aptitude.

Roberto C. Sanchez