Re: APT question

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:11:29AM +1300, Matt Parlane wrote:

> I couldn't think of an appropriate subject, so that will have to do...  :)

  "duplication package setup across machines" ?

> I have a couple of servers each with a bunch of packages installed,
> and I would like some way of getting that exact bunch of packages
> installed on a fresh Debian install.

  On the source machine:

    dpkg --get-selections > /some/file

  Copy that file over to the new machine and then run:

    dpkg --set-selections < /some/file
    apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

  Or you could just export with:

     COLUMNS=200 dpkg --list | grep ^ii | awk ' {print $2}' > /tmp/file

  Then install naively after copying the file with:

    apt-get install `cat /path/to/tmp/file`

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration