top panel objects

Hello. When the default menu items from the top panel are deleted, that being the listings for "Applications", "Places", and "Desktop", how does one go about replacing them? I've tried right-clicking on the panel, but I only get the option to put the main menu there (which is just Gnome's foot, and not the full "Applications", "Places", and "Desktop" entries). I want more than the foot. I want the default settings back.

Mark