ifupdown and --exclude ?

I'm not subscribed, keep me in CC.

I noticed that the --exclude option was depreciated.  I have a need to keep
lo up.  What is the recommended way of doing this?  Something like "pre-down
/bin/false" ?

I would like to know the opinions from others about not deconfiguring the
network interfaces on shutdown.  I know that they are not deconfigured if
the root is mounted from some type of network filesystem or if there are
still network filesystems mounted.

 Got Gas???