Re: X programs inside chroot

James Richardson wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have setup an i386 chroot (sarge) on my amd64 (also sarge) on my
> laptop. However I cannot run X programs inside. I get the error can't
> open display: :0.0.
>
> I get the error from xterm and OpenOffice.
>
> I have mount /proc inside the chroot.
>
> At first I thought it may have been a permission problem, so I ran
> xhost + on the X server to disable access control.
>

> Can anyone help me out here?

I solved my own problem, Here is the solution:
I bind mounted /tmp in the chroot (e.g. mount --bind /tmp
/chroots/sarge-ia32/tmp).

Why did this solve the problem?

* The X server on the host did not have a TCP/IP listener, only a unix
* domain listener (e.g. /tmp/.X11-unix) which was not available in the
* chroot until I bind mounted /tmp.

* Another solution would be to have the X server listen on an IP
* address,which I disremember how to do off of the top of my head.