Re: Debian AMD64 boots only at random: how to use labels/fstab/grub

Sorry, I forgot that bit ;(

The command 'mkswap -L label device' will create a swap area and add a label for it. This should probably be done from a rescue disk environment, so you don't confuse the running kernel with changes to its swap area. I'm not aware of a separate tool to label a swap area without "reformatting" it, though such may well exist.

Add the label to /etc/fstab the same as you did for the file system labels.

Bob

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks: it works as described. Just 1 other question: can I label my swap partition?
If I try e2label /dev/sda5 /my_name it returns:

e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb5
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

TIA