Re: configuration of Firefox and Thunderbird

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 17:28:00 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:
> At the end of a message in lists.debian.org
> is something such as this.
>
> Reply to:
>
>     * debian-user@lists.debian.org
>     * Peter (on-list)
>     * Peter (off-list)
>
> A click on one of these lines, temporarily
> produces a mailto string in the strip at the
> bottom of the viewer.
>
> There must be a way to configure Firefox so
> that Tunderbird starts a new message.  How?

I do not know if this is the easiest or smartest way to do it, but here
is how I got firefox to use my MUA of choice (mutt) for the mailto
links:

Type "about:config" into the location bar of firefox. Put "mailto" into
the filter box. You should see an option called
"network.protocol-handler.app.mailto". You can set this to the command
that you want firefox to use for the mailto links. I have set it to
"ff-mailto.sh". This is a two-line script which looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec konsole -e mutt "$@"

The "$@" is a placeholder for the arguments of the mailto line, i.e.
"to", "subject" (if given in the link), etc. I think you can use
something like

#!/bin/sh
thunderbird "$@"

to make firefox do what you want. You might have to pass additional
options to thunderbird in order to make it use existing thunderbird
processes instead of always starting a new one, but hopefully you will
find this in the thunderbird documentation.

HTH

--
Regards,
          Florian