Log out problem?

When I try to log out of debian (testing) it logs me out ok but rather than putting back up the log in screen i'm left with a blank pale blue screen with a white box (obviously where the text box would be). cursor still works etc but no controls. x won't shut down with ctrl-alt-backspace neither does ctrl-alt-f1 etc...any ideas?! Thanks,

Oh, and also...besides this one problem I love debian! Would just like to say what a brilliant distribution it is! Thanks to all the developers and I hope some of my bug reports have helped in one way or another!

--
Jon