Re: GPG keys aren't available on new system [SOLVED]

On Thursday 28 September 2006 00:11, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:07:03AM +1000, John O'Hagan wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I have some GPG-encrypted files (using the Kgpg front-end) on one box,
> > which I copied to another box, along with the contents of ~/.gnupg and
> > /etc/gnupg. If I attempt to decrypt the files on the new box, it fails
> > with the message "Secret key not available".
> >
> > On the old box it's fine; both run current testing. Is there anything
> > else I need to do?
>
> Do you have more than one secret key?  Maybe you need do configure kgpg
> to use a specific key.

You're half right, the above problem shows up in both kgpg and gpg; but if I
show kgpg where all the keys are (using "Import key" and "From file", rather
than "They're down the back of the sofa"), this takes care of the
configuration for both of them.

I guess the newly-installed gpg didn't know about keys put there by the old
one?

Regards and thanks,

John