Sound not configured correctly after recent kernel upgrade

Hi,

I run Debian sarge.  Since I installed the recent security upgrade for
the 2.6.8 kernel I have problems getting sound out of my machine.  I
reinstalled the previous version of that kernel package again, but
this did not have the desired effect, so maybe it is not related.  (I
then reinstalled the latest package again.)

When I run a program like ogg123 to play an ogg file it gives an error:

Error: Cannot open device oss.

AFAIK I am using alsa as a wrapper around oss.  Audio is not a part
of my system that I deeply understand. ;) Also the /dev/dsp device
file is not found, which used to be there.

I was starting to wonder if I had a hardware failure, but then I
noticed that mplayer did produce sound.  So some programs are working
and some not.  Flash in Firefox also doesn't give a sound.

I found out that I can now actually play an ogg file if I start ogg123
with the option '-d alsa09'.  But that's not very handy of course. :)

So I'm not quite sure what caused this to change.  I didn't see any
package upgrades in my aptitude log that could be related.  I tried
dpkg-reconfiguring some alsa packages, but that didn't help.

Any ideas about getting this back into a more usable state?

Some info:

$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_via82xx            29604  0
snd_ac97_codec         69508  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm                97480  1 snd_via82xx
snd_timer              25668  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11720  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport                4736  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         8000  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            25316  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8264  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    57380  7 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10336  1 snd

$ dpkg -l *alsa* | grep ^ii
ii  alsa-base      1.0.8-7        ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-oss       1.0.8-1        ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
ii  alsa-utils     1.0.8-4        ALSA utilities
ii  libsdl1.2debia 1.2.7+1.2.8cvs Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA

Thanks,

--
Maurits van Rees | http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [NL]
            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/