Re: kernel mess

 > Gee... I need to understand this conceptually. Otherwise I won't even be
able to follow people's advice.

Re-reading the last few posts I realised I may be confused as to what you are actually running, sorry :). Are you trying to install on a 32 bit O/S running a -k8 kernel, or a full amd64 install?

I think the important thing to remember is to make sure you match the packages with the O/S. This should all be taken care of by apt-get anyway.

Does 2.6.8-2-k7 use my cpu's x86_64 instruction set for anything at all?

No, AFAICT its treated as a normal Athlon.

Sempron64 equals AMD64? What optimization shall I stick to?

The -k8 kernels should work on 32 bit debian, as I said earlier I compile my own kernel with 64 bit optimisations on 32 bit sid, but I doubt this would make any difference.

You do have the kernel headers for the -k8 kernels installed I trust. Although m-a prepare should take care of this.

TBH I am at a loss as to where to go next, sorry :)

Wackojacko