Re: closing mailing lists (was: spamcop)

Stephen <stephen.d.allen@gmail.com>:

>  On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 03:21:14PM +0100 or thereabouts, Andrew Saunders wr=
>  ote:
> > On 9/26/06, Stephen <stephen.d.allen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >It's a non-issue.
> >
> > I agree. However much you might wish it, list policy is not determined
> > by plebiscite.
>
>  It should be, pretty much everything else in the Debian Project calls
>  for votes in order for a consensus. I see no reason why this list should
>  be the exception -- After all it is called debian-user, emphasis on "user".
>  :)

Any correctly functioning democracy (mobocracy?) or republic is
constrained by some form of constitution which limits what the mob can
do.  You wouldn't want the mob to be allowed to vote "people like you"
into the ovens, yes?

Anyone complaining about spam on the list landing in their mailbox
just hasn't learned the value of the linux.debian.* Usenet gateways
(or various web-ish alternatives; gmane?).  Read the list in a
newsreader.  No spam downloaded unless you ask to read it.  Problem
solved.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html