RE: closing mailing lists (was: spamcop)

On Friday, September 22, 2006 12:15 PM -0500, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> "Seth Goodman" <sethg@GoodmanAssociates.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:38 PM -0500, Andrei Popescu
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It's not nice to require *everybody* to receive 100-150
> > > mails/day just for a simple answer.
> >
> > There's no reason you have to receive list traffic.  You can
> > already do this if you subscribe via email.  There is no reason
> > the web portal couldn't have the nomail option as well.
>
> Where is this documented? I sent a 'help' to majordomo, but this
> command was not listed in the response.

My recollection of this was completely wrong.  Sorry for the
misinformation.  'nomail' is a majordomo command, so I obviously
confused another list with this one.  The docs for the Debian list
servers do not contain any information on the equivalent feature in
their list software (do they run Mailman?) nor have the list maintainers
responded to my questions so far.

You are right in saying there is no apparent way to subscribe without
getting all the list traffic.  Without this feature, it is impractical
to require that posters first confirm their email address.

--
Seth Goodman