Re: confused.

José Alburquerque wrote:
hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

I guess I'm confused. I thought the debian kernel was preemptive, and has been as far as I can remember. Am I wrong? Or do I have a misunderstanding of what "preemptive" means in this context?

What the posters are talking about is a new feature that allows the kernel to sort of stop everything to sort of handle some imminent situation such as sound processing etc. I found about this when using a

There is a difference between time-based scheduling and preemption.
With time-based scheduling, when a process is given control, it
runs until it either voluntarily blocks (usually by waiting for
some I/O to complete) or runs out of the quantum of time allocated
to it. At this time, the scheduler looks for a process of greater
or equal priority to schedule.

A preemptive scheduler automatically switches processes if one with a
higher priority is made ready.

AFAIK, the Linux kernel has never been preemptive in this sense.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.