ISP has screwed up smtp for me... what to try? New ISP?

Hi folks,

I hate writing this from my school's web access page, but I suddenly lost the ability to send emails from home.  Receiving is fine. Nothing had changed at my end from the night before, when I had no problems.  My ISP is Earthlink.

I couldn't figure out originally what the issue was, until I tried using both Balsa and Kmail instead of mutt/exim.  The error messages returned indicated that they needed to be configured for authentication.

Fine.  Set that up, seemingly no-brainer choices in the menus, including a test to see what the server supported.  Nothing works.  Tried all combinations the apps gave me.

Tried to configure exim4 to do the same, putting the full addresses that host gave me for smtp.earthlink.net and smtpauth.earthlink.net along with a user ID/password for each.  Even added the option about using clear text over unencrypted lines.

All no go.  I've got a bunch of frozen messages, with no place to go.

I chatted with Earthlink, which was futile. "We do not support alternate OS's."  I told them both in the chat and questionaire at the end that such an attitude really stank, that they would lose me if I don't find an answer from somewhere, and that this was no good for their good will in the community.

I looked through their docs on reconfiguring various email apps and plugged in those values into Kmail/Balsa with no luck (includin a port of 587 for the smtpauth addresses).

Doesn't someone out there have an earthlink account, and how do you set things up?  Is something sitting there staring me in the face that will work?

TIA,

Kenward