Re: Problem installing xserver-xorg

On Monday 25 September 2006 14:50, Adam Porter wrote:
> David Goodenough wrote:
> > I am trying to install xorg on an HP 9010 laptop.  It was installed but
> > the hard drive died and so I took an old 2.5" drive I had which had linux
> > on it with XFree86 (and a SIS screen configured) and I am trying to
> > upgrade it to
> > work on this new machine.  I got rid of the old XFree86 code (I think I
> > got
> > rid of all of it)
>
> You say it had Linux on it; was that Debian or something else?
>
> If it was Debian, what version?
>
> If it was newer than Woody, try $(apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg),
> then reinstall it.
>
> If it was Woody or older, or not Debian, then I recommend you wipe it and
> install Debian from scratch.
It was upstable last updated about the time 2.6.5 was released - whenever that
was.  It would be difficult to reinstall as the laptop has also got a bad CD
(yes I know, should really replace the whole thing).

I tried purging xserver-xorg, but that did not help

It went through the questions several times, and failed on I think the third
time through, just after it cleared the screen.  It then put up a question
very quickly and then up came this dialog.

David