Re: copy a dvd

Scarletdown wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 09:07 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:

I don't have kde installed on my computer, and I use Etch, and I was able to install k9copy (1.0.4.2-0.1), and run it (in either ion3, fluxbox, or gnome). So, k9copy does not require all of kde to run. Whatever libraries, etc, that it does require will be installed via apt (or synaptic, or aptitude). Further, it is in the Etch multimedia (aka marillat) repositories. I feel you should reconsider and install it if you'd like to copy dvds. Just my two cents.

Personally, I think the most efficient method is vobcopy.

vobcopy -m will mirror the entire DVD, and in the proper structure, to
your hard drive.  Then you can simply use K3B to burn it to a DVD-R or
an iso file.

Doesn't dd serve the same purpose?

Use dd to copy the data:
$> dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvddata.iso

and then burn the iso to a blank disk using growisofs.

->HS