Re: WTF is binding "Control-O" key in Gnome apps?

On 09/23/2006 06:45 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
"Mumia W.." <paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net> writes:
You can remap keys using xmodmap if you have to, but it might be your
keyboard layout that needs fixing. When I type "grep XkbLayout
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" it says "us." Since you are using Xorg, your
configuration file is probably differently named.

Why do you think this is related to X keyboard mapping?
This "binding" only happens in Gnome apps, and ^O works fine in, for
instance, Emacs (running in its own window).

Looking at the output of xmodmap -pk shows nothing odd, and xev shows
the following if I hit ^O (this is preceeded by the control-key event of
course):

-- KeyPress event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x44, subw 0x2200002, time 3665002075, (36,52), root:(51,124),
    state 0x4, keycode 32 (keysym 0x6f, o), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0f) ""
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0f) ""
    XFilterEvent returns: False

which is its expected value (0xF).

{I've scoured various gnome settings files etc., though, and cannot find
any reference to it... it's driving me nuts!]

-Miles

Hmm, you're probably right. It's a setting within Gnome, but I can't find it either. Try going into the gconf-editor and browsing the paths. It might be in there somewhere.

The gconf-editor also has a search feature (Edit/Find). I searched for "input-method" and "input method" but didn't find anything; however, your system may be different, and you can think of other search terms I'm sure.

You can also try yahoo:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=gnome+input+method+change

Good luck.

--