Re: Strange networking woes

On 09/23/06 17:37, Leonid Grinberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to install Debian Etch on a Pentium III machine. It
> is connected to a switch which is connected to a router. Both
> switch and router are confirmed to be working perfectly. Debian,
> however, is acting strangely with the network.
>
> The machine sees the network hardware. That is, lspci returns the
>  ethernet controller, and plugging the ethernet cord in and out
> returns a message indicating that it was detected. However,
> pinging anyone inside the network (including 192.168.1.1 -- the
> router) returns in Destination Host Unreachable errors.
>
> Ideally, I'd like the machine to use a static IP address
> (192.168.1.154), like my other Etch server, but I would be
> content with DHCP if need be. Currently, /etc/network/interfaces
> says:
>
> auto lo iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp

Try it with a static address.  Define the netmask, gateway, etc.
Here's what mine looks like:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.10
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.251
        dns-nameservers 68.11.16.25 68.11.16.30 68.1.208.25
        dns-search homelan

> Running dhclient eth0 does not work (although ifconfig does show
> it, it does not have either inet addr nor inet6 addr in it). Does
> anyone have any ideas?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA