Re: WTF is binding "Control-O" key in Gnome apps?

On 09/23/2006 03:55 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
"Mumia W.." <paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net> wrote:

On 09/21/2006 08:13 PM, Miles Bader wrote:
Starting sometime in the past year or so, Gnome apps on my machine have
begun to treat Control-O (that's "oh", not zero) as meaning "toggle
input method", i.e., the same thing that Shift-Space normally does.

In some apps it doesn't matter, but somtimes this binding is insanely
annoying, especially in gnome-terminal -- it prevents apps running in
the terminal from using Control-O!!!

Can someone tell me where this binding is getting made, and how I can
disable it (and then send a bug report that it's a Stupid Binding Which
Unnecessarily Interferes With Normal Usage)?

[I don't know that it's Gnome doing the binding, but it seems to only hbe
in Gnome apps, so ...]

Thanks,

-Miles

You can remap keys using xmodmap if you have to, but it might be your keyboard layout that needs fixing. When I type "grep XkbLayout /etc/X11/XF86Config-4" it says "us." Since you are using Xorg, your configuration file is probably differently named.

I remapped the F10 signal to the F12 key, but IceWM is still reacting
on the old F10. It seems to be more complicated then that.

Regards,
Andrei

It is complicated. Read "man xmodmap." You can probably map F12 to the current definition for F10 by issuing this:

xmodmap -e 'keysym F12 = F10'

Then you could remove the old definition for F10 by doing this:

xmodmap -e 'keycode XXXXX = '

where XXXXX is the keycode for F10 as reported by the 'xev' program.

Miles Bader,
you can probably get rid of that Control-O problem by doing this:

xmodmap -e 'keycode YYYYY = o O'

where YYYYY is the keycode for the letter O as reported by 'xev.'

Good luck you two.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net