Re: Dependency Injection

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 12:22:18AM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies
>
> I will be using the equivs solution since mysql 4 is going to have a
> short life on this box before getting upgraded to 5.x (about a month)
> . But the other solution is the best and worth considering for other
> stuff - I do however have one question about creating customized
> versions of packages already found in debian.
>
> Say I am going to role my own customized package then I do not want
> future debian packages to upgrade my home build one neither do i want
> to rename it since that might break other dependencies - do people in
> these cases use the Provides feature in the control file or is it
> possible to block package upgrades by specifying its maintainer or
> something similar in /etc/apt/preferences or must I use the
> Pin-Priority trick along with the full package version:

I use aptitude, which has the ability to place packages on hold.  You
simply highlight the package and press the equals (=) key.  With the
versioning scheme I suggest in my HOWTO, you will still see that the
packages are upgradeable, but the upgrade won't take place until you
remove the hold.

Also, since the packaging tools all now properly support the ~
character, you can simply do the version of something like 1.1-1~mypkg,
which will be greater than 1.1-1, but not 1.1-2 or anything greater.  Of
course, you still need the hold.

Regards,

-Roberto
--