Dependency Injection

Hi all

I need to get mysql 4 running on a debian etch box, mysql 4.1 and 5
will not do. If I try to grab mysql 4 from sarge I run into the
problem that mysql-client depends on libreadline4 and I already have
readline-common installed which blocks libreeadline4. Uninstalling
readline-common is not and options since core software depends on it,
so what I am looking for is a way to tell apt that readline-common
provides libreadline4 so mysql-client can be installed.

So basically is there a way to tell apt that a needed package is
already installed even though one already on the system blocks this
package ?

Regards

Lars Roland