Re: Debian Love

Travis Crook wrote:
Ditto!  Debian just works!  I've tried a couple of other distros, and
they don't "just work".

Before we all get too syrupy here, I've posted a problem here
which never got addressed, and had another user contact me
months later with the same problem, wondering whether I
ever got Debian to work, let alone "just work".

If I install a USB mouse, then the keyboard isn't recognized
by Debian, though the BIOS recognizes it, and Windows recognizes
it, and Knoppix recognizes it, and Kanotix recognizes it,
and Puppy Linux recognizes it.

Another way in which Debian doesn't "just work" is my girlfriend's
inability to read her camera memory stick. She finally went and
got an HP printer which can read it directly without going
through the computer.

Oh, and Debian didn't recognize the printer, so I cobbled up a
descriptor for it and fooled Debian into thinking it was another
printer. I couldn't just add the descriptor in the directory,
apparently there is some sort of index, and no documentation
on the machine for how to add to it. But I did get it working,
and followed the instructions for reporting the situation
to the developers.

Unfortunately, the developers either did not get the message,
or have chosen not to be polite enough to acknowledge receipt
of the information I sent.

So, all the work is appreciated, etc, but Debian is not perfect,
and response to some problems leaves me rather indifferent.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.