Re: spamcop

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:15:58 -0400, Stephen
<stephen.d.allen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But debian-user is more than a mailing list.  It's also gated to the
>> Usenet newsgroup linux.debian.user, where anyone can post.

>> Spam filtering of non subscribers, after the fact, is the only method
>> possible, under the circumstances.

>Not necessarily. I'm on a couple of other lists that are gated to USENET
>, as well as being on private company servers. Anyone can read/reply to
>the USENET postings, but they won't make it to the private server, until
>one registers there first.

Debian is not a PRIVATE organization.  Debian wants to be accessible,
via mailing lists or Usenet, without treating Usenet posters as second
class citizens, or diminishing the convenience of Usenet access.

If it was my decision to make, I would abolish the mailing lists, and
run Usenet only.  Many users pulling is more efficient than one server
pushing.