Re: spamcop

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:39:08 -0400, Stephen
<stephen.d.allen@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's not appropriate in my view, to allow anyone to post to debian-user,
>without first subscribing. Apparently, anyone can post to debian-user,
>without needing to do that step. I don't buy the argument that it's too
>much of a hurdle to expect a newbie to debian to subscribe --
>Subscribing to e-mail lists is done pretty much everywhere, so it's an
>expected task, by pretty much anyone using them.

If debian-user was only a mailing-list, many people would agree.

But debian-user is more than a mailing list.  It's also gated to the
Usenet newsgroup linux.debian.user, where anyone can post.

That's just the way Usenet newsgroups work.

Spam filtering of non subscribers, after the fact, is the only method
possible, under the circumstances.