Re: spamcop

Stephen <stephen.d.allen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:19:38PM +0300 or thereabouts, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > This has been discussed pretty extensively a while ago. The conclusion
> > was that d-u has pretty effective spam-filtering, the signal-to-noise
> > ratio is very low.
>
> I understand your point, however it's annoying when for example, in my
> case, in the past 8 months (since I've been observing closely) any UCE
> that gets through to my e-mail, is all from debian-user. We're not
> talking about a lot, but still it's too much.

You should see debian-www, it's much worse and it has a fraction of the
traffic of d-u

> So, when people like me, whom are on many e-mail lists, only get UCE from
> debian-user, then I would think it would be prudent for Debian to
> rethink their policy regarding how "open" these lists are currently.
>
> It's not appropriate in my view, to allow anyone to post to debian-user,
> without first subscribing. Apparently, anyone can post to debian-user,
> without needing to do that step. I don't buy the argument that it's too
> much of a hurdle to expect a newbie to debian to subscribe --
> Subscribing to e-mail lists is done pretty much everywhere, so it's an
> expected task, by pretty much anyone using them.
>
> This is why debian-user is being constantly blacklisted -- So the onus is on
> Debian to fix things on their end. Being too open has it's price, and
> it's the subscribers to this list that are basically being deluged with
> UCE, due to Debian not acting accordingly to the best of their ability.

IMHO 'deluged' is a bit exagerated. Also you can spot most spam by
subject, so it's almost like filtering uninteresting threads.

> Hell, it's not like Debian.org doesn't have the expertise to do what's
> right IMO.
>
> --
> Regards
> Stephen

As I said, this has been discussed extensively and your arguments are
not new. Please don't reopen this issue as it generated a nasty
flamewar. I don't mind if you want to continue this off-list.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)