Re: CD drive on a parallel port

jb701@uku.co.uk wrote, On 2006-09-20 06:05:
Hi,
I have a laptop without a CD ROM, that cannot take a CD rom, and that cannot take USB either [PCMCIA I/II only, which rules out USB port cards it seems].

You could find a PCMCIA Ethernet card that is supported by the Debian boot floppies (assuming that your laptop has working floppy drives), and then perform a network install.

Arthur.

I have however obtained a CD drive that connects to the parallel port. With a bit of hassle, this can be got to work with DOS - ie. it is accessible. Does anyone know if I could get Debian to access it? Mainly I am wondering if there is some simple command [mounting a device etc] or is it going to mean needing a specific package [which nay or may not exist!]. It's a Cumana drive, came with an Archimedes [an old Acorn machine, Acorn being the "A" in "ARM processor"]. Does anyone know if it would be possible to install Debian using this CD drive? Potential use of this drive this way is my main interest. Any advice or pointers welcome. Am trying here rather than the laptop list because it's a general question about hardware.
Many thanks.